Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Fruit, Popcorn, and an Earthquake

It's my third full day in Quito! Yesterday after Spanish lessons I went with my friend Olivia to a place called "Frutemonse" it has fresh fruit, juice and ice cream. I got fruit salad and she got fruit salad with cream. It was delicious and a good snack to tide us over until dinner (they eat dinner really late here).
my fruit salad

both mine and Olivia's

I went back to my house and read my book for a while before dinner. For dinner we had soup made with cauliflower, celery and potatoes. There was a bowl of popcorn on the table, my house mom explained that in Ecuador they put the popcorn in the soup, and it was surprisingly very good!!! After dinner I went on a walk with my house mom for about two hours, it was nice to chat with her and get to know more about her! She has lived in Quito all her life, and has been a teacher at the school I am taking Spanish lessons at for 20 years. I asked her why Ecuador had the US dollar as their currency, she explained that there was an economic crash in the 1990's and the President made the decision to change to the US dollar. 
A mural we saw on our walk

We walked up a mountain and got a cool view of Old Town from above (sorry for the bad quality)

I was pretty tired when we got back so I took a shower and then went to bed. I was woken up at about 3:00am to my bed shaking, at first I thought it was a dream, then realized it was an earthquake!!! A 6.7 magnitude earthquake hit near the pacific coast of Ecuador, we felt the after shocks! This morning my host mom said that we could feel aftershocks for the next 2 months. 

This morning I am going to a market with girls I met at school from Germany before Spanish. Then Spanish lessons from 1:00-5:00.

I can't believe its all ready Wednesday, the week is flying by!!! 

Thank you for reading!
Love,

Molly

1 comment:

  1. ice cream/fruit looks good. Would it be any trouble bringing some home for your aunt and I.. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete