Thursday, July 24, 2014

7/24/14 The Old City

Morning

I had a somewhat late morning again today after going out dancing all night! I woke up at 8:30AM. I had to do some work in the morning and had a lovely breakfast once again. I hung out at home a bit and then left to meet up with Kim at school at 12PM.

Afternoon

This afternoon I had class a half hour early because my professor took me to the Old City or better known here as Quito's Centro Histórico. The Old City is in the center of Quito. My professor, German and I had to walk 5 miles each way to get to the city and back, so my legs are just a little tired now. Anyways, I am posting pictures of some of the beautiful churches and plazas I saw in the city. The streets were adorably narrow and it was a very calm, but lively area. The pictures do not do the sites justice, I promise…



La Basilica






Plaza de la Independencia (Plaza of Independence) and the huge statue representing Ecuador's battle for independence from Spain. 

Some of the narrow streets and check out that mountain view!





Another catholic church we were able to go inside and take pictures in. 
After the Old City, on the way home, I got to see a big mall they have here and it was very different than our malls, but really cheap. There were many small shops crammed together with so many items and deals. It was too hard for me to concentrate because there were so many options. Another mall we saw but did not go into was the black market mall (not the actual name). This is where your belongings go when you get robbed. German told me about a student he had that had her camera stolen, went to the black market mall, found her camera, and then had to buy it back for double what she paid in the US. I just think that’s so crazy, but at least she was able to get it back! Things are a lot different here, but when poverty is extreme like it is for some people here, they feel as if stealing is their only choice to feed their family and things like the black market mall are allowed to prosper.

On our walk home, I also got to try a cheese empanada. It was so great. It’s like fried cheese in dough. Here’s a picture…



Evening

After class, I went to salsa class again! I got paired with the teacher again (not sure if that is a good sign or a bad one? Haha). It was so much fun. I was laughing so much because I was just enjoying myself so much. It really is the little things! Who knew I would love salsa! So glad I tried it! I want to be a professional when I arrive home! After salsa, I went back to my friend Kim’s apartment for a little bit. Kim is here for five months doing an internship at a hospital here so she has a cute apartment in a volunteer house! We hung out there for a bit and then I headed home for a lovely dinner with my family! Oh also, when I arrived home, I realized I got some pretty intense sunburn this afternoon! The sun is a lot stronger than it feels here in Quito. Check it out (and yes, those are bright red headphone cords)...



Reflection

I am feeling a bit sentimental tonight as I sit here and write. Over these past few months, I have encountered struggles that have really pushed me to my limit. The types of struggles that make you question your purpose and God’s direction for your life. Already in my four days here, this trip has really helped me to further discover the blessings that God continues to pour out on me. This trip has given me time and experience in a new place and new culture to observe and reflect on people and problems of this world. And with every problem I encounter, I realize that God is working on the solution before we even know the problem. Sometimes, we feel so small. We feel as if no matter how hard we work or how much energy we put into people or our passions, we are making only a small difference, if any difference at all. Tonight, I am here to remind anyone who is feeling that right now or feeling like that lately, that you are so important and you are making a difference. You are strong, courageous and your actions make a difference. In fact, I can’t think of anyone who says it better than the famous Dr. Seuss in “Oh the Places You’ll Go”. He writes, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Each time you feel discouraged, remember that in this life, you can choose to be happy and remain encouraged or to give into letting yourself feel small. Each person you encourage and show love, each generous action you perform, each time you make someone smile or laugh, you are making an impact. You are making an impression on a friend, a child, a sister, a brother, a parent, a grandparent or a stranger. Here in Ecuador, more than anywhere, I can see where our values tend to run astray in the United States. Love your neighbor, help your brother, and encourage a stranger. My challenge to you is to look at yourself, and give yourself a huge pat on the back. You are important, you are loved, and I wouldn’t wish for a different you. Stay strong and encouraged when you feel like giving up. Continue to love those who leave you, forgive those who upset you, and choose to endure through heartbreak and hurt of the world. Choose to be an encourager by your actions. Choose to let yourself be the best you.

My love, prayers and best wishes go out to each person that took the time to read this today. I am so grateful to have support from so many of you and I am blessed enough to be able to encounter this adventure because of the help and support of all of you.

All My Love,


Danni

7 comments:

  1. What a cool day! Sounds fantastic. Keep learning and trying new things! :D Also, what a beautiful Gothic style Basilica. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle!
    I've been following your blog. So glad you are enjoying yourself and finding some time for FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh you had me almost in tears with your heartfelt message. I truly think it was in God's plan for you to be there and experience the culture. You will bring that all back to the states and definitely make a difference here. Continue to enjoy yourself as you immerse yourself within their culture. Love, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! What a wonderful message!!! We love your outlook, values and belief in God. Thanks for sharing.......and enjoy your time in Quito.

    Much love to you,
    Joyce & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! What a wonderful message. We love your outlook, values and belief in God. Thanks for sharing.........

    With lots of love,
    Joyce & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle! I just discovered your blog and I love keeping up with you. The first time we met (at the salon) I knew you were destined to do awesome things. You're a beautiful woman who brings light to everyone you meet, keep shining girl, you're amazing!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late mornings for you - 8:30
    Late mornings for me- 11:30
    haha you are crazy. Miss you

    ReplyDelete