Monday, August 11, 2014

08/08/14 El Mitad del Mundo

Friday

It was a very busy weekend. After being very sick on Wednesday and Thursday, I made big plans for the weekend! Friday morning, I got up very early and headed to El Mitad del Mundo or better known to us as the Equator. It was not as hot as I imagined, but it was defiantly the warmest place I had been so far in Ecuador!



We went to an awesome museum where we were shown several cool experiments on the equator line! I'll explain more below, but here is me, standing in the middle of the world, on the latitude 00!


Here we were able to see a sun dial, which was perfectly accurate on the equator!



Again, you can see the time (9:30am), which was accurate with my watch exactly!


The equator line! Jump from North to South all you please!


Here was a sort of calendar that showed where the sun was is comparison with the seasons!


You were able to balance an egg perfectly on a nail at the center of the Equator! 


At the Equator line, it is very hard to walk in a straight line because our bodies are naturally attracted to one pole or the other! When you're right in the middle, it's harder than being drunk to walk this line!



The last cool thing we were able to see was water flowing. As most of you know, when you drain water at home, it usually funnels in one direction, but at the Equator, it doesn't! The water goes straight down (as shown below!). We were able to see this tested in the North and the water spun counterclockwise and in the south it spun clockwise! This is the same reasons hurricanes don't form at the Equator! It was very interesting to do all these experiments and tests.



After the Equator, I was headed to the beach on the coast for the weekend! It was over a 11 hour bus ride and I spent all day in a bus driving in and out of mountains and trying to unpop my ears from the changes in pressure! On the bright side, I finally had some time to watch a few movies on the bus (in Spanish, of course) and read my book!

I arrived late at Atacames beach and was completely exhausted! I went to bed early right after I ate dinner!

Best,

Danni

2 comments:

  1. Great reading about your experiences at the beach. The pictures are great, and thanks for the great lessons about the Equator. Very interesting facts and experiments to share with us. Your time is getting short, and pretty soon you will have to depart. You certainly have gotten so much living and learning experience on this trip. I think you will get home, and then leave for school, soon after. Tell us more about your project back at the senior center. How is all of that going? We really miss you, and can't wait to see you. You look healthy and well on the beach. Hope you are well and back to normal. Love to you, always. Be Safe! Love, Grandma and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting post and pictures!! Eli

    ReplyDelete